Call us at 888-388-8989
or fill out the form below to be contacted by one of our representatives.
Get competitive pay and great benefits with CDPAP!
Are you a busy working adult? Do you often feel guilty of not being able to help and take care of your elderly loved one (your mother or father) the way they took care of you as a child? Are you anxiously looking for a Home Health Aide who is reliable, skilled and compassionate—someone who can take good care of your family member or friend? If yes, then consider ‘the Consumer Directed Personal Assistance Program’ (CDPAP).
CDPAP—Consumer Empowered Home Care Services
As the name suggests, ‘the Consumer Directed Personal Assistance Program’ is a home care assistance program that empowers consumers, and their representatives to hire and direct care on their own. This means your loved one (the consumer) along with a representative (you or any other family member), can recruit, train and direct personal assistants. And you know what the main highlight of this program is?
Well, CDPAP is a New York statewide Medicaid sponsored program. Under this program, the consumers can also hire their family members as personal assistants who get PAID to provide care. Isn’t that wonderful?
Now let’s take a deeper dive to learn more about this program:
Consumer Eligibility Criteria and Enrollment Process
For consumers to qualify for this program, they must:
- Require home care or skilled care
- Be able to self-direct or have a representative
- Also, they must enroll themselves in a MMC (Medicaid Managed Care Plan). However, those who have Medicare as well as Medicaid should first enroll themselves in MLTC (Managed Long Term Care) plan. And those with only Medicaid should enroll in MMM (Mainstream Managed Medicaid) plan.
Once enrolled, the consumer must notify and inform their plan that they want to enroll in Consumer Directed Personal Assistance Program.
Special Program Benefits
- CDPAP consumers can recruit as many assistants as they need to accommodate their lifestyle, individual needs and authorized hours.
- They can hire anyone including their family members (except for their spouse).
- Under this program, CDPAP assistants are allowed to perform not just custodial but also skilled tasks for consumers such as insulin injections, oxygen and medication administration and suctioning tracheostomies, which otherwise only nurses can perform.
Who can be a Personal Assistant?
- Relatives (including children and parents)
Requirements for Caregivers
The good news is that there are no stringent requirements for caregivers. You can qualify as a personal assistant/caregiver as long as you are legally allowed to work, and not married to the consumer.