Home Health Attendants are nice, friendly people and are usually easy to get along with. Let’s imagine that you have already chosen the right person who meets all your requirements, but you will have to face the first issue: the adaptation process.
Discussing the necessity of home health attendant services with your loved one before calling for them is extremely important. Sometimes, the patient may feel shocked, cheated, or scared. Thus, it is important to find the right approach and know what to expect when receiving services for the first time. The best advice is, to be honest with your elder relative and does not dwell on shortcomings.
What Should the First Days Look Like?
The elder relative must feel that the home care service will bring them all the necessary care. Try to be at home when the specialist begins their work if you have such a possibility. Use this time to note all the necessary information about the services to make the process of acquaintance easier:
- Describe everything that is important, and wait for questions. Inform the worker about the daily routine and habits of the elder citizen. For example, if the patient is bedridden, note how many times they must be rotated. Be sure that the home attendant understands any important issues. As they continue to ask questions, this alone shows their interest in providing high-quality services.
- Do a daily routine together with the new worker. Show the specialist what you usually do with your elder patient. That will help to avoid confusion from both the elder citizens and the home health attendant’s side. Show what is expected from meal preparations, shopping for errands, as well as giving proper grooming care. The best way to learn something is to see it with your own eyes.
- Discuss the caregiver’s work. It is better to describe all the issues, even if they seem obvious. The main questions are how many hours the person will work, how many hours they sleep, where is their living space etc.
Keep in touch with the home attendant, especially during the first days of the work. You may also ask them to make a report at the end of the day: thus, you will know if the service was made at the proper level.
Cooperating with the Home Health Attendant: Psychological Side
Morals of the elder patient who gets acquainted with a new person is another issue that deserves attention. This process is not easy but if the worker has all the necessary professional skills, they will successfully get through this stage. Here are the signs that the home attendant cares about your elder relative’s mental state:
- They talk about themselves. The worker should not inform the patient about their personal life or any similar details, but they must find some general points of contact with the client. All in all, they will have to spend a lot of time together.
- They try to inspire confidence. If the home attendant is sincere and friendly and has similar work experience, they understand how the first impression is important. High-quality workers analyze the character of their client at this stage and make a decision on how to act.
- They create business relations. If the home attendant is considered as a family member, there may appear a space for manipulation. Therefore, professional caregivers should not encourage non-working relationships.
Do not forget to listen to the elder relative’s opinion, ask if they are satisfied with the given service, and all details are taken into consideration. If you need any advice regarding this issue, you may contact the All Heart Homecare agency. We have been working in this sphere for many years, learned the most controversial aspects of the adaptation process, and know how to cope with them. Our home health attendants do everything to help the client and establish a pleasant psychological environment. All Heart Homecare – Because we care.